Ergo is active in the Canadian information management community through delivering courses and presenting at conferences and other events. This page lists events in which Ergo will be participating.
- This event has passed.
CANCELLED – Fundamentals of Business Classification and Retention Scheduling – 25 March, 2020 – Toronto, ON
March 25 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm$40
Due to the precautions being taken in response to the coronavirus, this session has been cancelled.
Hopefully it can be rescheduled later in the year.
A records classification scheme and a retention schedule are integral parts of a Records and Information Management (RIM) Program. Without a classification scheme, records will be disorganized and difficult (or impossible) to find. Without a retention schedule, records destruction/deletion practices will be arbitrary and ad hoc, potentially contravene legislated requirements for keeping records, and likely fail to safeguard an organization’s archival records.
This session provides an introduction to developing and implementing a business classification scheme and a legally defensible records retention schedule.
Business classification topics:
- Records classification benefits
- Developing a business classification scheme
- Data collection
- Identifying functions, activities, and records
- Business classification implementation tips
Retention scheduling topics:
- Retention schedule benefits
- Developing a records retention schedule
- Record values
- Legislated records retention requirements and statute of limitation periods
- Retention scheduling challenges (e.g. multiple jurisdictions)
- Retention schedule implementation tips